- what we mean when we are talking about ‘personal information’;
- how we collect your personal information;
- whether we will be collecting your personal information from other people or organisations;
- why we collect your personal information and what we do with it;
- how we store your personal information and what protections we put in place; and
- how you can make a complaint, request access to your personal information, opt out of marketing emails or ask us about correcting it.
Types of information we collect
In the process of conducting our business, we collect a range of personal information. For the purposes of this policy “personal information” is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. This information may include information:
- you provide about yourself when registering yourself or purchasing courses on our Website, such as your name, date of birth, email, address, password and payment information;
- you provide in accessing our courses such as any medical conditions or other health-related information, your ability to complete certain activities, social activities and other related information; and
- generated by your use of our Website and transmitted, whether publicly or privately, to or through our Website.
We will only collect your personal information where it is reasonably necessary in order for us to give you the full benefit of the courses available on our Website or any other services provided by us.
Some personal information, such as information we collect relating to your health and well-being is sensitive and requires a higher level of protection under the Law. We will only collect your sensitive information when we have your consent and the collection is reasonably necessary for us to carry out one or more of our functions or activities.
How we collect your personal information
We will primarily collect your personal information directly from you when you register an account with us, purchase our courses, contact us to make enquiries or respond to our questionnaires, this may include personal information such as:
- your name, date of birth, e-mail address and phone number collected when you set up an account on our Website;
- your billing and shipping address and payment information when you make a purchase through our Website;
- additional information which may be collected through other voluntary interactions with us or on our Website, such as via questionnaires, contact forms, e-mail, post or on the phone;
- information provided to us through any other forms or features accessible on our Website, including but not limited to information about any medical conditions; and
- information posted by you on our Website via any review, message or comment functions offered by us.
Cookies and other technologies
When you use our Website, we may collect and log details about your use of our Website, including the computer or device you use to access our Website and information about what content you view on our Website. We may use “Cookies” to keep track of personal preferences and compile aggregate data about traffic through and interaction with our Website, so that we can offer you better experiences and tools in the future. “Cookies” are small files that are transferred to your computer's hard drive through your web browser and enable our site to recognise your browser and remember certain information (such as information about your computer or device, your browser, IP address and other software or hardware you use when interacting with our Website). You should be able to configure your computer or other web browsing device so that it disables cookies or does not accept them. However, if you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use our products or services that require you to "sign in," and you may not be able to take full advantage of the services offered on our Website.
Our Website and social media
Use or disclosure
We collect and use your personal information in order to provide you with the best possible support in relation to your health and wellbeing. This includes using your personal information to help us:
- supply our courses;
- measure and improve our services;
- communicate with you in relation to your participation in our courses;
- track the progress of any queries in relation to our Website;
- perform internal management and administrative processes;
- perform marketing and promotional activities in connection with our services, which may include sending you news about upcoming courses, new meditations practices or other information that we think may be of interest to you; and
- with other purposes related to the provision of our goods and services which will assist us in helping you receive the full benefit that using our Website can offer.
We will not sell or provide your information to a third party for the purposes of direct marketing without your informed consent.
Direct marketing is the promotion of goods and services directly to you including through emails, SMS, phone calls and the post. We will only send you direct marketing materials if you would reasonably expect to receive them, or you have consented. If it is impractical to gain your consent, we will always provide a simple means for you to request not to receive the material. We will not use your sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing unless you have given us specific prior consent.
You may at any time, request to opt out of receiving any marketing or promotional material from us by following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each marketing or promotional email sent from us. If you have linked any of your social media accounts to your account with us, then you can cancel that link by changing your account settings.
Our preference is to use third party service providers who are based in Australia, however we may use overseas service providers to process your personal information if we reasonably believe that the overseas entity protects your personal information to the same or similar standard as required under the Laws, or you have otherwise consented to us disclosing your personal information to the overseas entity.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we use the recommended industry standards when storing and dealing with your personal information. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure and ensure the accuracy and proper use of your personal information we use a range of physical, technical and administrative measures.
While we take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, interference or loss, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. In addition to the measures we take to protect your personal information, you should ensure that you keep secret and regularly change any access passwords to your account on our Website and always logout of any secure pages.
Third party links
You may from time to time access sites of third parties (such as advertisers or suppliers) via links provided on our Website. Whilst we may request that such third parties treat your personal information with the same level of care and to the same standard as we do, we shall not be liable if any third party you share your personal information with fails to do so.
You should make your own investigations as to whether the third party you are sharing your personal information with will handle and use such personal information in accordance with the Law, or otherwise to an acceptable standard.
When we no longer need your personal information for a permitted purpose and we are not required to keep it to comply with any laws, we will take reasonable steps to destroy your personal information or to ensure that the information is de-identified.
Access and Correction
You can update your personal information at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. If requested by you, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that your personal information is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.
Upon your written request we will provide you with a copy of your personal information that we hold, unless there is a legitimate reason under the Law, not to do so.
We will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information if we are satisfied that it is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. This extends to third parties that we have provided your personal information to unless it is impracticable or unlawful to do so.
Making a Complaint
If you have a concern or complaint relating to our handling of your personal information or any breaches of the Law, please send a written note to our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the nature of the complaint. We will endeavour to respond to your complaint within 30 days of receipt. If unresolved, you may submit your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.